Saturday, June 24, 2017

Lessons Learned at Midnight

For I know the thoughts I have towards you says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11



         Tonight after returning home from my first cruise I seem to be struggling with sleeping tonight. Maybe it's because my dinner wasn't as large as it was on the cruise ship or it could be Good wanted me to take the time to jot down some things He has been saying for a long time. 

         A few nights before we were to leave on the cruise my aunt called me to tell me she was proud of me and said that I have a pretty good understanding of the sovereignty of God. Looking back over things maybe I do and maybe I don't. I do believe that I learned something tonight in the middle of my struggle to relax and sleep how God is continually reminding me of how much I am already blessed. I have learned that living in the past only leads to lots of depression with all the would have, could have, and should have thoughts. God took me down a trip of memory lane. I got to thinking about how He brought my wife to me and I wasn't even looking for her. 

          Flashback about three years and it was probably the first time my now wife ever saw me. It was Vacation Bible School at Fincastle Baptist Church. I was working with the kids as I was accustomed to doing most of the week every year. I didn't know who she was and I didn't even remember her face but she remembered mine. Flash forward October 18 she happened to oversleep that morning and didn't make it to first service and ended up going to second service where I was accustomed to ushering and helping people find seats. Of course when you are the guy passing the offering plate at church and you are one of only eight people standing you are easy to spot. My now wife became that much more determined to find out who I am. Naturally the easiest route to stalk people is Facebook and of people to hunt you down through is your pastors friend list. Later that afternoon I received a friend request on Facebook and a message about how this woman knew me from somewhere and had couldn't remember where. Naturally being myself I am always up for making conversation and a new friend so I corresponded. Looking back at everything tonight after two and a half years of marriage, one inherited son, and one handsome baby boy (that's what everyone on the cruise ship said about him) borne to me, I'm finally starting to understand who God is and how He works. 

           This is something that you never see coming or predict. I know that I am blessed beyond measure. Don't get me wrong marriage is tough especially when you have kids. The Bible says when two people get married they become one. Guess what when blend two things together it's really messy but when brings it together no matter how messy life gets He holds the two people together but only if you do Jeremiah 29: 12-13 which says, "Then you will call upon Me and go pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for me with all of your heart." 

         When I was working at VBS and ushering on Sunday morning I was doing what was accustomed to me. I wasn't looking for a wife. I had been praying for one for years. No one ever seemed to fit the bill. This past Mother's Day a friend of mine who is like a mom to me I wished her a happy mother's day P31. For those of you who aren't Christian or might be knew to the faith P31 is short for Proverbs 31. She responded back by saying that she was happy that I have my own P31. If it wasn't for God's handy work in this whole deal I wouldn't have met her. In God's sovereignty He brought this life I live about. Without Him I wouldn't have my wouldn't have my wonderful bride(my P31), my two sons, or the loving support system I have gained by God laying it on one sweet woman's heart not to give up until she found the other person that God made for her. I'm so blessed that person is me .

Allison I love you Momma Bear. Thank you for always being that P31 I need and our family needs. You're truly a heaven sent blessing. You're amazing and very much appreciated by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment