Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Lessons In Love and Sacrifice

 John 15:13-16

"13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." 

    It's not everyday you meet a hero. Sometimes you wake up and wonder what it's like. For those who call themselves Christians our hero is Jesus Christ. I will say that it's not everyday you take the time to stop and remember what it's like to really think about what it's like to have a hero that loves you so completely and unconditionally. Sometimes on this earth you have the privilege of meeting your childhood hero's but for some reason the real hero's get overlooked. It's not normal for people to sacrifice everything of themselves for others. Since this world health crisis began we have heard nothing but praise and glory for healthcare hero's from every news outlet or politician. I must say that everyone isn't as fortunate as me.

    Pretty much for a solid year the woman I have many pet names for ranging from Mama Bear to My Wonderful Bride has found the faith and courage to go into the fire call the Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit knowing that Jesus may call a patient in her care home. It takes a special kind of person to throw their heart and soul into their work when it seems like it's a no win situation. I have watched how she has sacrificed of herself to try to save those whom she doesn't know. Only a person that God has a hold on their heart can throw themselves into losing situation and continue to fight. I know that people say who that's admirable and I definitely will not disagree. There has been times I've had the pleasure of being the shoulder she's cried on, the ear to vent to, and the man to love her troubles away. I know that's what a husband is supposed to do but I can't take credit for loving her because as humans we can never love our spouses correctly unless Jesus has first put His love in us to understand and know what true love is. You have to know our story to understand why I am writing this.

    Our relationship began six years ago in October of 2015. We had been dating less than a month when catastrophe struck for my wife(girlfriend at the time); her hot water quit working. She called me crying and all upset and I asked if it was gas or electric. Well I told her that I would get the parts and fix it. Needless to say she doubted my handyman abilities at the time but once it was fixed and working she was very much impressed and surprised. I guess you can say I had the opportunity to "save" her. My humorous term is her knight with a shiny belt buckle. I noticed that this woman threw herself at me even though we hadn't been together that long and really pour out the love she had in her heart for me and I didn't know what to think because it wasn't what I was used to. She was so loving and so giving I felt undeserving and inadequate because I'm nothing special. What I loved about her then and now is that she might not be a theologian or Biblical scholar but she can love someone according to the scriptures better than I can and God granted me the opportunity to stand behind the sacred desk many Sundays in my life. The way she loves is amazing. Chris Young's song "Who I Am With You" speaks volumes to me because it came out right after we started dating and has been our song ever since. She shows me everyday how to be a better man because I get to be with her and be enveloped in her love. When I met her I thought I was getting a damsel in distress who needed a man to save her and sweep her off feet. As it turns she ended up saving me. She has constantly sacrificed of herself since before we ever said I do. 

    Since the beginning of this health crisis she has been given numerous accommodations for her willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty at work. I wasn't surprised that my respiratory therapist did. She has been that way since our first date. Things got even harder for her since December 2020. I found out I had a torn rotator tendon and bone spur on the tip of my collarbone and I had to have surgery and put me out of work for awhile. What does she do? What you would expect from a sweet Godly woman; she willingly started picking up extra shifts to make up the difference. The weekend of Valentine's Day this year she got me my favorite cut of meat to make BBQ out of. She ordered a whole beef brisket for me. Of course that weekend we had back to back ice storms which knocked out our electricity for 24 hours. She posts something on Facebook about me staying up most of the night to keep a fire in the fireplace going and what real love is. The funny this she's the one who showed me first. 

    

    Those who are reading this may wonder why I chose to take the time write this. To me it's simple. First my wife deserves praise for being the wonderful woman she is. The second is to take a minute to share what Jesus can do in and through a person that loves Him. You can save lives. Sometimes they might be in the hospital or they might be person you say I do too. Allison you are a not only a healthcare hero you're my hero, my lover, my confidant, my wonderful bride, and my best friend. Sweetheart just know that you are loved, cherished, and admired by those you live with at home.

    For those of you who have someone who loves you and treats you like my darling wife treats me and her children make sure you don't them for granted. It's rare to find someone who empties themselves willingly for others. Jesus did it for all of mankind on the cross and my wife does it daily for her family. I hope this touches your hearts in some way. May God bless you. I know that He has me.

No comments:

Post a Comment